Idaho Commission for LibrariesAddress: 325 W State St., Boise, ID 83702
Phone: (208) 334-2150 | In-State Toll Free: (800) 458-3271
Printed from the Idaho Commission for Libraries website: http://libraries.idaho.gov
Library news from around the state
Find out what is happening in Idaho libraries.
Do you have news about your library that you’d like to share in an upcoming Nexus e-newsletter? Please let Teresa Lipus know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ada Community Library was awarded, by the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Muslim Journeys Bookshelf—a collection of books, films, and other resources that introduce the American public to the complex history and culture of Muslims. See more at www.neh.gov/news/press-release/2013-01-09.
American Library Association Galaxy of Stars: Read about Idaho library staff making a difference in their communities at ala-apa.org/nlwd/?tag=ID. Featured staff include: LaVern from Boise; Robin from Cascade; Becky, Kathryn, and circulation staff from Pocatello; and Kate and Megan from Meridian.
Boise State University, Albertsons Library: Tracy Bicknell-Holmes has been named the new dean of Albertsons Library, effective June 24. Bicknell-Holmes comes to Boise State from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. See more at http://news.boisestate.edu/update/2013/02/20/new-dean-of-albertsons-library-announced/.
Groundbreaking and Grand Openings
- Nampa Public Library:
A Library Square Groundbreaking Ceremony was held on Tuesday, May 7, with Mayor Tom Dale leading the festivities. The Project is expected to take 18 months to complete. Read more about the new Library Square here.
- Lewiston City Library will hold a Grand Opening for their new library on Saturday, June 8, 2013 at 11:00 am. Read more at http://www.lewistonlibrary.org/.
- Stanley Community Library will hold a Grand Celebration of their new library on Saturday, July 6. View the time-lapse video of building the library at http://youtu.be/vv5FKIuWGIc.
Libri Foundation Grants (www.librifoundation.org): New, quality, hardcover children’s books were awarded to Garden Valley District Library, Oakley Free District Library, and Weiser Public Library.
Meridian Library District recently held an open house to welcome new director Gretchen Caserotti, who comes from the Darien Library in Connecticut, where she served as Assistant Director for Public Services. Caserotti was also recently elected to the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) board, a division of ALA. See more at http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/news/ala/riordan-elected-alsc-2014-2015-president.
Powering Tomorrow Grants from Idaho Power(www.idahopower.com/pdfs/AboutUs/CompanyInformation/PoweringTomorrowGrant_Winners_0313.pdf)
- Buhl Public Library recently won a $1,000 grant to help support the Preschool Story Hour and the Teen Advisory Group.
- Gooding Public Library won a grant for their science, technology, engineering and math workshops to give children and adults hands-on, learning experiences that demonstrate how fun these subjects can be.
University of Idaho Library
- Ben Hunter-Head of Cataloging and Collections, a Past President of the Idaho Library Association, and 2011 American Library Association Emerging Leader--has been selected by Library Journal as one of the “Movers and Shakers” for 2013. Ben was identified as a Mover & Shaker in the category of Change Agents. Read the full profile at http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/03/people/movers-shakers-2013/ben-hunter-movers-shakers-2013-change-agents/.
- Kathleen Monks—Assistant Professor, Reference and Instruction Librarian—has been featured as an emerging leader in the American Libraries Magazine. See more at http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/features/04102013/emerging-leaders-class-2013.