Idaho Commission for LibrariesAddress: 325 W State St., Boise, ID 83702
Phone: (208) 334-2150 | In-State Toll Free: (800) 458-3271
Printed from the Idaho Commission for Libraries website: http://libraries.idaho.gov
CSLP Summer Reading Manual: Corrections and suggestions
CSLP apologizes for the following:
An out-of-date map was used for the continent of Africa, and several countries either changed their name or are misspelled. Youth Services Librarian David Cubie (OH) found the following errors on the map of Africa in Chapter 6:
1. The assignment is to write the names of seven countries listed at the top and attach them to the countries w/o names (they are shaded). Tunisia, although not shaded does not have the name of the country written on or near it-this could cause confusion for some children.
2. Two countries' names are misspelled on the CSLP map: The country Mauritania is misspelled "Maurinania” & the country Lesotho is misspelled "Lethoso".
3. Two countries are actually completely wrong in name: the territory Rio Muni is no longer the name of a country. In 1968 it became a territory of Equatorial Guinea, or more accurately Republic of Equatorial Guinea. The third largest country in Africa is no longer Zaire, it is actually called Democratic Republic of the Congo, and has been called that since 1997.
4. In the instructions at the top of the page it says there are 53 countries in Africa, when there are actually 54. There are 53 members of the AU (African Union), with Morocco being the one country abstaining.
5. The coastline of Gabon is missing, altering the coastline of the entire continent.
Helping Hands Service Project, page 224:
There have been some discussions throughout youth services listservs regarding Dr. Greg Mortensen's Pennies for Peace organization and how the funds raised for this project may or may not have been used. On page 224 of the children's manual there is an activity titled, "Helping Hands Service Project," and one of the organizations that is suggested is Pennies for Peace. There are, however, several other organizations listed. If your library plans to participate in the Helping Hands Service Project it would be a good idea to discuss your options with your library director and staff.
All updates regarding the CSLP summer reading manual are posted on the ICfL Summer Reading Resources website: http://libraries.idaho.gov/page/summer-reading-resources.