Idaho Commission for LibrariesAddress: 325 W State St., Boise, ID 83702
Phone: (208) 334-2150 | In-State Toll Free: (800) 458-3271
Printed from the Idaho Commission for Libraries website: http://libraries.idaho.gov
SPLAT turns 6!
By Shirley Biladeau
Happy Birthday to the Special Projects Library Action Team (SPLAT)! This summer marks the sixth year that the Idaho Commission for Libraries-sponsored group has been working throughout the Idaho library community. This group, a result of the 2020 Futures Conference held in 2005, was charged to serve in a crow’s nest capacity to search for innovation, propose experiments, lead pilot projects, and discover new opportunities for the Idaho Commission for Libraries and the Idaho library community.
As a result, during the past six years SPLAT members have provided change leadership and used technology to enhance Idaho libraries’ capacity to better serve their clientele. Outcomes include the following:
- The SPLAT couch at Idaho Library Association meetings provides an opportunity for anyone to learn tips and tricks in using technology, share information with colleagues, and connect with others throughout Idaho.
- SPLAT 101 provides a blended-learning opportunity for the community to begin their journey in learning about new technology. Over 300 members of the Idaho library community originally participated in this effort, and SPLAT 101 remains available as an online resource at http://libraries.idaho.gov/splat101.
- Members of SPLAT reached out beyond the borders of Idaho to gain additional insight by attending conferences such as Pegusas, Internet Librarian, Handheld Librarian, ALA, PLA, Computers in Libraries, Reference Renaissance, and others. They have returned to Idaho brimming with ideas and tools to share with their colleagues.
The Commission very much appreciates the contributions made by everyone who has been a member of the SPLAT team and would like to take this opportunity to extend our gratitude. This year also sees the entry of six new SPLAT members. It is with great excitement that I announce the 2012 SPLAT:
- Gena Marker from Centennial High School Library - Meridian School District
- George Williams from Latah County District Library
- Heidi Lewis from Boise Public Library!
- Jennifer Cromer from Lewis Clark State College
- Jennifer Hills from Twin Falls Public Library
- Jennifer Redford from Boise Public Library!
- Jezmynne Dene from Portneuf District Library
- Kate Baker from Meridian District Library - Silverstone Branch
- Nick Grove from Meridian District Library
- Nick Madsen from Community Library Network - Hayden Branch
This SPLAT team has already contributed their expertise by attending the regional Idaho Library Association Spring Conferences and providing on-site training for local libraries. Make it a point to get acquainted with these folks. They have a lot to share and would also love to learn from you so they can spread the word about new trends and technology. Be on the lookout for the SPLAT members at ILA conferences and subscribe to the SPLAT blog at http://splat.lili.org to keep up with what’s new in libraryland, both in Idaho and beyond!