Idaho Commission for LibrariesAddress: 325 W State St., Boise, ID 83702
Phone: (208) 334-2150 | In-State Toll Free: (800) 458-3271
Printed from the Idaho Commission for Libraries website: http://libraries.idaho.gov
ABLE has been providing library basics for library staff world-wide since 1998. Over 5,000 ABLE Course Completion Certificates have been printed and distributed to individuals in 32 countries.A recent user commented:Thank you for such generosity in sharing your knowledge.....I work as a library aide in two schools in Brisbane, Australia. Your courses will be invaluable to me and many others....A big thank you to all the people at the Idaho Commission for Libraries whose thoughtfulness, knowledge and hard work has contributed to this venture.
All the best, Helen Abbott, Teacher Aide, Brisbane, Australia
- Tips for Maximizing Your ABLE Learning Experience
- Competencies supported by the content in the ABLE Courses
No registration is required, simply click on the links below and begin learning.
NOTE: If you recently tried the courses and they didn't work -- try again. First clear the cache on your web browser and then open the files. Best browsers to use are Fire Fox or Chrome.
Collection Development Sequence
- Collection Development Basics (1 contact hour)
- Collection Development Policy (1.5 contact hours)
- Building A Collection (1.5 contact hours)
- Collection Maintenance (2 contact hours)
- Bonus Course: Merchandising (1.5 contact hours)
- Introduction to Technical Services and Catalog Records (1.5 contact hours)
- Introduction to Subject Headings (3 contact hours)
- Introduction to Dewey Classification (2 contact hours)
- Introduction to MARC Cataloging (1 contact hour)
Public Services Sequence
- The Reference Interview (2.0 contact hours)
- Evaluating Reference Sources (2.0 contact hours)
- Basic Reference Sources (3.0 contact hours)
- Ethics and Public Service (2.0 contact hours)
- Upon completing all three sequences of the ABLE program, any learner may request a program completion certificate from the Idaho Commission for Libraries via this survey. NOTE: Starting January 1, 2015, requests from individuals outside of the United States will receive only an electronic copy of their ABLE Course Certificate.
- Click here for a list of states which accept these courses for their continuing education programs.
- For vision impaired learners, you can access the ABLE scripts at http://libraries.idaho.gov/ablescripts
- Questions or comments may be directed to the Idaho Commission for Libraries' Continuing Education Consultant at (208) 334-2150 or e-mail Shirley Biladeau.
- SABLE Courses Youth Services Sequence
This project is funded in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.