Idaho Commission for LibrariesAddress: 325 W State St., Boise, ID 83702
Phone: (208) 334-2150 | In-State Toll Free: (800) 458-3271
Printed from the Idaho Commission for Libraries website: http://libraries.idaho.gov
Bright Futures Summer Reading Opportunities: School Partnerships
It takes a village to maintain reading gains over the summer! Though this outreach opportunity is coordinated by the public library, the program focus is about active involvement on the school’s part to get students to participate in the library summer reading program. A promotional package containing the following items will be provided for both the library and the school(s) upon acceptance of the application: This package is worth over $300!
- One 24” x 60” vinyl banner with the slogan “Dig Into Reading”
- Twenty hardcover books, fiction and non-fiction titles, to add to the library’s collection (Booklist available February 2013.)
- Publicly-funded public libraries may apply.
- Public library must provide regularly scheduled summer programs for the targeted school-age students during the application year. If your library is planning construction or remodeling this summer, and regularly scheduled programs will not be held in an alternate location, the library does not qualify for this program.
- Public libraries must partner with public elementary schools (private, parochial, preschools, middle/junior high schools, daycares, or home school organizations do not qualify).
Program summary: (please see “Program Components”for details)
- Libraries can apply to partner with up to three schools.
- Meet with each school’s principal and librarian. Develop a collaborative promotion plan that describes what the school and library will each do to increase student participation, and set a participation goal.
- Submit the school’s Idaho Reading Indicator scores.
- Track school’s student participation in Summer Library Programs.
- Plan a collaborative recognition event in the fall for students who completed the SRP.
- Submit a follow-up report by September 15, 2013.
Application deadline: March 20, 2013
Application Packet: CLICK HERE
Submit to: Staci Shaw Mail: Idaho Commission for Libraries 325 W. State Street Boise, Idaho 83702 Fax: 208 334-4016 / Phone: 208-334-2150 or 800-458-3271 Email: email@example.com
Resources for Principal/ School Librarian Meetings:
Summer Learning Loss Handout
School Partnerships PowerPoint Presentation (coming soon)
Ways Libraries and Schools Have Collaborated to Promote Summer Reading
Examples from previous applications
2013 List of Titles (February)
Follow-Up Report: Due September 15, 2013 (click to complete and submit)
Note: This is not the same report as your general Summer Reading Program report, which is due August 31.