Idaho Commission for LibrariesAddress: 325 W State St., Boise, ID 83702
Phone: (208) 334-2150 | In-State Toll Free: (800) 458-3271
Printed from the Idaho Commission for Libraries website: http://libraries.idaho.gov
Early Literacy Stations
Literacy Stations are a great tool for librarians to use during parent workshops, family events, or storytimes. They can include books and activities for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and early school-age children and are based on the Six Early Literacy Skills. There are many reasons to create Literacy Stations for your library. Here are just a few!
Easy To Use
- Setting up stations is easy to do
- Low cost to develop – most materials are low cost, free, or already in your library
- Rotating stations is easy and keeps interest alive
- Can be as extensive or compact as your space dictates
Efficient and Effective
- Literacy Stations are self serve! No extra staff needed
- Bilingual stations allow you to reach ELL patrons without bilingual staff present
- Extends the learning from storytime and other literacy programs
- Promotes and builds existing library programs
Extend Your Reach
- They’re portable! Set them up at community events; incorporate them into outreach displays
- Increase parent awareness of the six literacy skills so they can engage them at the library and at home
- Inspire children to explore and learn through self-discovery
- Demonstrate the purpose of reading and writing, and inspire children to explore
- Demonstrate the purpose and power of print
- Encourage social interaction and oral language development
- Invite children to gradually understand print concepts
- Provide practice with real life experiences that require reading and writing
- Add an element of fun to the library – and kids learn when they are having fun!
Idaho Commission for Libraries, Early Literacy Stations: Created for librarians to use during parent workshops, family events, or storytimes. The website has activity cards for babies, toddlers, preschoolers and early school-age, based on the Six Early Literacy Skills. Instructions for preparation are included on the last page of each document.
Literacy Station Cards from San Fransisco Public Library, English and Spanish: Click on "Text for Ready Set Read"