Idaho Commission for LibrariesAddress: 325 W State St., Boise, ID 83702
Phone: (208) 334-2150 | In-State Toll Free: (800) 458-3271
Printed from the Idaho Commission for Libraries website: http://libraries.idaho.gov
Guided “Capitol of Light” Virtual Tours
What it is:
Idaho Legislative Services Office (LSO) and Idaho Public Television (IdahoPTV) produced a Virtual Capitol Tour to provide more opportunities for Idaho residents who can’t make it to the State Capitol in person. The tour is given using video teleconferencing equipment purchased with onetime funds from the Idaho Commission for Libraries’ Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP) grant.
See a 4-minute overview of the tour at tinyurl.com/VirtualCapitolTour.
How it works:
The tour is designed for a legislator or tour guide to be located in the Capitol building while talking to virtual tour participants about the Capitol.
LSO will schedule your library’s tour and send you a laptop for the video teleconference connection. IdahoPTV will coordinate a test call and connection for the day of the event. LSO staff will act as a tour guide or be a joint tour guide if a legislator is present. The tour is a minimum of 1 hour but can go longer.
How to book (download a printable version of the process):
1) Contact LSO to schedule a tour: 208.334.4850 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Give LSO your schedule details
a. Main point of contact for tour/connection
b. Date, time (minimum of 2 weeks and maximum of 6 months notice)
c. Length of tour (1 hour) with a small amount of flexibility
d. Age range and number of people in group
e. Your public Internet connectivity (minimum 1.5 MB)
f. Library’s Legislative District
3) Receive Laptop Kit (system set up is good for 5-10 participants)
a. Kit to arrive 48 hours prior and includes:
i. Shippable case v. PowerPoint presentation
ii. Laptop vi. Tour video segments
iii. Quick Start list vii. Built-in speakers
iv. Jabber teleconferencing software viii. Webcam/microphone
4) Set up laptop and connection
a. Follow basic set up guide included in kit.
b. IdahoPTV will schedule a test connection call 24 hours prior to tour.
c. Connection will be made 30 minutes prior to tour.
5) Run the tour
a. Laptop will be set to turn on with all software, web pages available on desktop
i. Local page will have link to PowerPoint and each individual video
ii. Jabber teleconferencing software will automatically start
6) Return Laptop Kit
a. Libraries should return equipment within one week of tour.
b. Return shipping information will be included.
Note: Libraries will be responsible for shipping costs: 2-day USPS is approximately $20 each way
The Legislative Services Office and Idaho Public Television look forward to providing a virtual tour for your patrons or your students.
Additional information and resources:
• If you would like more details about the “Capitol of Light” Virtual Tour, please contact LSO at email@example.com or call Michelle O’Brien at 208.334.4580.
• LSO also built a website to facilitate scheduling a physical or virtual tour: http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/capitol/capitol_building.htm
• In addition to the Capitol Virtual Tour the ICfL funded a self-guided online version of the tour: http://idahoptv.org/productions/specials/capitoloflight/tour.cfm. In the online tour you will be able to access the videos used during the Virtual Tour.
• Idaho Public Television produced a documentary and content rich website about the Capitol: http://idahoptv.org/productions/specials/capitoloflight/
• There is also an online version for fourth graders called Kid’s Website available at http://idahoptv.org/productions/specials/capitoloflight/kids/index.cfm
• The Capitol Commission website also has an archive of the history, restoration and construction of the building http://www.capitolcommission.idaho.gov/