Idaho Commission for LibrariesAddress: 325 W State St., Boise, ID 83702
Phone: (208) 334-2150 | In-State Toll Free: (800) 458-3271
Printed from the Idaho Commission for Libraries website: http://libraries.idaho.gov
Turning the Page ~ Libraries Building Communities
The Public Library Association's successful Turning the Page program is coming to Idaho. This fall, starting September 9, members of the Idaho library community will join members of the Washington library community to participate in the six-week online series which takes participants through the steps of developing an advocacy plan. In addition, we will share how Idaho libraries can get involved with the OCLC Geek the Library program, which provides assistance in various areas for libraries to implement their action plan.
Register your library and participants today: Turning the Page Registration
Applicants will be notified their status by email on August 5, 2013.
For more information contact Program Facilitators:
Idaho Commission for Libraries: Shirley Biladeau - email@example.com
Washington State Library: Jennifer Fenton - firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn how to be an effective advocate for your library.
- Public perceptions
- Telling your story
- You as a leader
- Building relationships
- The "Big Ask"
- Assembling your Advocacy Work Plan
- Apply Online (Registration opens June 1, 2013 for fall session).
- Getting Started Video (15 min. intro to the program)
- Technical Requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The course lasts 6 sessions and takes 3+ hours per session (18-20 hrs total) over 2 months time
- Online Sessions will be held on the following dates: September 9, September 23, October 7, Octover 21, November 4, November 18; The sessions will be repeated twice on each day: Session 1: 9-10 AM PT and 10-11 AM MT or Session 2: 1-2 PM PT and 2-3 PM MT
- Each session will have an online module to complete and then participants meet virtually to discuss the advocacy issues
Self-paced homework assignments with 1 on 1 feedback (free consulting).
Receive a certificate of completion when you're done.Turning the Page 2.0 Idaho! is a program sponsored by the Idaho Commission for Libraries in collaboration with the Public Library Association, a division of the American Library Association; and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Geek the Library
Check out the following links for more information on how to become involved in the Geek the Library program and what services and resources they will be able to offer you for free!
Pilot Project Executive Summary: http://www.oclc.org/reports/pdfs/geekthelibrary_summary.pdf
Additional Information http://www.oclc.org/advocacy/
Current Grant Information: http://www.oclc.org/us/en/news/releases/2012/201264.htm)
All enrolled libraries receive: one-on-one support from a field manager, access to an online Campaign Management Center (tips, templates, etc.) and pre-printed materials (e.g. t-shirts, stickers, bookmarks, etc.) and support via a national presence on social media and geekthelibrary.org. Libraries are kept informed and engaged by sending regular tip e-mails and posting blogs on the Campaign Management Center, field manager contact and webinars.