ICfL staff members have had their eyes out for relevant stories, tools, and tricks so you don’t have to. We hope you find these resources useful and inspiring. Enjoy!
- NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)
- International Games Month
- National Native American Heritage Month
- Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month
- Dia de los Muertos is November 1
- Thanksgiving Day is November 24
- Learn a Foreign Language Month
- Bingo’s Birthday Month
- Write to a Friend Month consider writing notes to service members and first responders as part of Operation Gratitude
- First Day of Hanukkah is December 19
- Winter Solstice is December 21
- Christmas Day is December 25
- First Day of Kwanzaa is December 26
- Braille Literacy Month
- Financial Wellness Month
- National Mentoring Month
- New Year’s Day is January 1
- World Holocaust Remembrance Day is January 27
- Tax Identity Theft Week starts January 30th
- Hobby Hand-off program at the Lake Hazel branch of the Ada Community Library is and event where people can exchange items from an old hobby they’ve lost interest in, and pick up items to try a new one – submitted by Emily Johnson (Thanks, Emily!)
- Repair Cafe with the Latah County Library District where community members can get help with repairing or fixing clothing, books, small appliances, and jewelry. They even have a “gluing station” where a variety of specialized glues are provided!
- IdaPost: Wish You Were Here, a pen pal writing project – Interested writers can sign up by answering a few simple questions. Registrants will be mailed the name and address of another writer as well as the first writing prompt from CMarie.
- FDA Hearing Aids Final Rule – As early as mid-October, Americans with mild to moderate hearing impairment will be able to purchase more affordable hearing aids over the counter at pharmacies and stores across the country without needing a medical exam or prescription.
- The Network of the National Library of Medicine Region 4 announces the availability of funding. Awards range up to $2,000 for professional development, $9,500 for technology improvement and $50,000 for engagement and outreach. Application deadline is Nov. 7 for the technology and engagement and outreach awards, and the professional development money is awarded on an ongoing basis while funds last.
- Reframing Aging Through Images: Recommendations from Research is a new report out from AARP.