Countdown to Coding is a series of online training modules designed to help library staff and other caregivers understand basic computer science concepts and learn to integrate these concepts into regular storytime and playtime. Each module takes about 15 – 20 minutes to complete. At the end of the training series, participants should feel comfortable describing five basic computer science concepts to families, selecting books that reinforce each concept, and engaging children with activities that help them learn about computer science.
Coding is a new literacy standard that today’s young children will encounter when they reach school. Libraries and childcare centers have the opportunity to help lay the foundation for understanding fundamental computer science concepts, just as they lay the foundation for reading by introducing early literacy skills.
NOTE: At the end of each Countdown to Coding learning module, you will need to fill out the survey that is linked to the last slide so that we can keep accurate statistics on who has completed this course.
We’ll help you get started
In addition to the information contained in the training modules, the first 25 Idaho libraries with staff members who complete the entire training series will be eligible to receive the following:
- A set of five hard-cover books that illustrate the five computer science concepts covered in the modules
- 30 paperback picture books to hand out to families who attend a storytime at the library that introduces computer science concepts
- Bookmarks that explain each of the five concepts to handout to families
- A Botley coding robot that helps children learn how to code through pictures
In return for receiving these materials, libraries must agree to the following:
- Introduce computer science concepts to families as part of regular library storytimes (you won’t be able to use computer science in every storytime, but we would like you to make it part of your routine)
- Assess at least one of your computer science storytimes using this family survey, and return completed surveys to Jennifer Redford at ICfL (you may want to use the paperback books that we send you as incentives for providing feedback)
- Fill out a short report on your experience within six months of completing the Countdown to Coding learning modules and receiving your computer science storytime materials
Thank you to the Idaho STEM Action Center for funding the creation of these learning modules.