“Find It at Your Library”
An annual statewide celebration of family reading.
Showcase all the great resources your library has to offer with “Find It at Your Library,” this year’s theme for Idaho Family Reading Week. The official week is November 11th – 17th but events can take place anytime in November. Publicly-funded school and public libraries can register online to receive materials to help support a Family Reading Week event. The first 100 libraries to register will receive six, new hardcover nonfiction books. Let’s help our families and children discover all the great resources our libraries have to offer!
By applying for the Idaho Family Reading Week program, the library agrees to:
- host at least 1 family reading event by November 30, 2018 (event does NOT have to be Nov 11-17 only)
- submit a summary event report including numbers served, narrative responses and program/resource feedback by December 15, 2018
New to hosting an Idaho Family Reading Week event?
Just need some fresh ideas?
Check out this compilation of event ideas from both public and school libraries for this year’s FRW theme:
FRW Event Ideas
Extension activities for “Beauty and the Beak”:
Idaho’s 2018 National Book Festival title “Beauty and the Beak” is a nonfiction picture book about Beauty, the wild bald eagle that made world news when she was illegally shot, rescued and received a pioneering, 3-D printed prosthetic beak. This book will be a resource for the first 100 libraries applying for FRW this year. Here are some additional activities/resources that librarians or teachers can offer in conjunction with this book:
- All public and school libraries can download the 3-D design (the .stl file) to 3-D print their very own Beauty beak: http://stem.idaho.gov/beautysbeak/
- The raptor biologist who helped rescue Beauty and design, fit and care for Beauty’s new beak, Janie Veltkamp, and author Deborah Lee Rose, developed an educational guide, aligned with Idaho Content Standards, for educational use: https://stem.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Final-Beauty-and-the-Beak-Combined.pdf
- Want to see and learn about birds of prey live (or via Skype)?! Request a live or virtual presentation from Janie and her aviary of trained, educational birds of prey on the Birds of Prey of Northwest website: (subsidized presentations by the Idaho STEM Action Center)
Questions? Contact Read To Me Project Coordinator, Kristina Taylor