“Indigenous Idaho: Future, Past & Present”
– an Idaho Library Continuing Education Course – October 2022
About the Course:
Come learn alongside your library peers about Idaho’s federally recognized tribal nations. Past, present, and future perspectives will be explored. Learn how public and school libraries can partner with, better serve, and celebrate Indigenous people and cultures. The course was created in partnership with Mandi Harris, Cherokee Nation citizen, former Coeur d’Alene children’s librarian, current doctoral student at the University of Washington, and recipient of the distinguished Spectrum Doctoral Fellowship “Catalysts for Change.” This free course is three weeks in length and will utilize a blend of independent learning/reading via the ICfL’s Niche Academy, paired with three online, live meetings for discussions and local presenters.
- To increase understanding by Idaho library staff of Idaho’s Indigenous cultures, both historic and current.
- To foster and increase relationships and partnerships between Idaho libraries and Idaho tribes and Indigenous peoples.
- To create Idaho library services, materials, and programs that are high-quality, relevant, and sensitive to native peoples in Idaho.
- To improve library communication, promotion, membership, and outreach efforts with members of Idaho’s tribes and other organizations that serve native peoples.
Priority will be given to participants who can attend all three real-time meetings, to be held on Oct. 12, Oct. 19, and Oct. 26 from 12:30 – 2:00 p.m. MT. (Live sessions will not be recorded).
This first round of the course is limited to 30 participants on a first-come, first-served basis. (NOTE: We plan to offer the course again in the near future.)
Participants who complete the course will receive 10 new hardcover books for their library collection written and/illustrated by Indigenous authors/artists. If more than one staff member from the same library completes the course, the library will only receive 1 set of these books. Books will be for a range of ages – children through young adult.
Registration opens on Thursday, September 1st until filled.
Click here for course registration form.
Questions? Contact Kristina Taylor, ICfL Youth Services Project Coordinator