Welcoming Libraries Grant
FY23 Grant Application: November 1 – November 30, 2022
Grant Implementation Timeline: January 1 – April 30, 2023
The Idaho Commission for Libraries’ Welcoming Libraries Grant of $1,000 is available to Idaho public, school, or tribal libraries working with children ages 0-18. The grant focuses on supporting activities that improve equity, diversity, and inclusion in libraries to better serve Idaho’s underserved groups of children. These grants support libraries as they work to make their materials, programs, and spaces more welcoming and accessible to all children.
Selected libraries will participate in five activities:
- Conduct a community assessment to gain a better understanding of those who are going underserved in their community and identify gaps in viewpoints or experiences that are underrepresented in the library’s collection, programs, and spaces.
- Conduct a collection diversity audit of all or a portion of the library’s collection for children ages 0-18. This will be followed by collection purchases focused on inclusive representation, along with promotion of these new resources.
- Conduct a storytime diversity audit followed by updated storytime program curriculum, resource purchasing, and promotion.
- Create or modify current children’s programming, the library’s physical space, or the library’s virtual space to meet the developmental, cognitive, and/or neurological needs of library patrons, ensuring library programs, materials, and spaces are welcoming and accessible to all.
- Participate in professional development for library staff to increase staff understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion topics.
The Idaho Commission for Libraries (ICfL) will provide staff training, grant resource ideas, and a group orientation to all grantees at the beginning of the grant period. Library consultation services will also be available to grantees throughout the grant period.
This program is administered by the ICfL and is made possible, in part, by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
FY23 DEADLINE: due by November 30, 2022
Continuing Education Summary
Looking for library tools to support Welcoming Libraries Grants or other library programs, materials, or spaces projects?
Email Project Coordinator Kristina Taylor for a full suite of tools & resources.
A list of continuing education trainings is also included in this resource compilation.
Questions? Contact Youth Services Project Coordinator, Kristina Taylor:
This program is brought to you by the Idaho Commission for Libraries and was made possible by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Kristina TaylorYouth Services Project Coordinator Email / 208-639-4136
Read my Blogs