Idaho Commission for LibrariesAddress: 325 W State St., Boise, ID 83702
Phone: (208) 334-2150 | In-State Toll Free: (800) 458-3271
Printed from the Idaho Commission for Libraries website: http://libraries.idaho.gov
STEAM Learning Resources
STEAM stands for "Science Technology Engineering Arts, and Math." The acronym is used to refer to those areas of study which are encompassed by a wide range of sciences. The last decade has seen an increase in STEAM education and programming at all levels.
Below are a list of resources focused on children ages three to eleven years of age. If you are interested in resources targeting older students, please refer to the bottom of the page.
Online Gameboard for Parents and Kids
Parents can explore fun and educational sites with their child using the Fun with Math and Science Gameboard we created. Every click of the mouse takes them to a different science experiment, math game, puzzle, and more. We have gathered together some of the best kid sites on the web and made a fun game out of exploring them all.
- Picture Books for Math Storytimes
- Booklist for Library Staff
- Resources for Library Staff
- Non-Fiction Booklist - 2012-2014
- STEM Booklist
- STEAM Multicultural Booklist from RIF
MaKey MaKey Activities, Tutorials, and Videos
- Educade; a series of tutorials on using MaKey MaKeys.
- MaKey MaKey Activity Guides
- Jay Silver's Youtube Video on MaKey MaKey
- Idaho SySTEMic Solution Lesson Plans - extensive lesson plans available for grades K through five focusing on STEM topics.
- First Grade Science Projects
- Second Grade Science Projects
- Third Grade Science Projects
- STEM Resources - Courtesy of Tennessee Department of Education
- Quarked! Adventures in the Subatomic Universe! -Quarked! provides an introduction to particle physics through videos and online games. Targeted to kids aged 7-12.
- Simply STEM Wiki - filled with complete program plans
- STEM Games
- Ice, Ice Baby
- Playing with Data
- Playing with Measurement
- Playing with Number Sense
- Playing with Patterns
- Playing with Shapes
- Dot Pattern Cards
- Dot Card Activities
- Counting in the Cup Activity
- Missing Parts Cards
- Missing Parts Activities
- Gingerbread Activities - North Bingham County District Library
- Kindergarten Science Projects
- Hooked On Science website - Science Games
- STEAM Websites-Library
- STEAM Websites-Families
- Boston Children's Museum STEM Sprouts Teaching Guide
- Growing with Science - A place for science and nature exploration.
- Wilsonville Public Library: Summer Science @ your Library
- Role Models Matter - Full of activities and resources specific to encouraging girls in STEAM fields
- Periodic Table of Elements -A Periodic Table of Elements that contains more than 25 scientific truths about each element including density, state, atomic radius, etc.. Can be translated into 8 languages.
- Creative Kids Central - Creative Kids Central encourages young people to explore power and beauty of classical music. Co-sponsored by Classical KUSC 91.5 in Los Angeles and the Creative Kids Education Foundation, this site is primarily aimed at children aged 7-9, their families, and caregivers.
- Design Squad Nation -A PBS site that introduces kids to engineering by offering STEM-related videos and a community for kids/tweens to get inspired and share creative ideas. They also have a Parents and Educators section with STEM guides, lessons, and classroom-ready resources.
- Engineering is Elementary Community Outreach Toolkit
- All About iPads and Apps
- iPad STEM Applications-Bilingual
- iPad STEM Applications-Free
- iPad STEM Applications-Low-cost
- iPad STEM Applications Review website
- iPad STEM Applications Review website
- Free Library Blog - List of apps from the Free Library of Philadelphia
- Articles, Reports, Blogs, and More
- Planning an Effective ECE Environment
- STEM Extension Ideas
- The Importance of STEM Learning for Preschoolers
- Early Childhood Investigations - FREE Webinars for early childhood educators
- Idaho STEM Resources
- Discover STEM activities in Idaho- field trips, presenters, classes, etc.
- Reading Rockets-Literacy in the Sciences: Extensive list of resources
- Lego Club at the Boise Public Library-Hillcrest Branch, by Jennifer Redford