Imagine a World where Every Librarian Adds One More Reference to Wikipedia. If every librarian in the world added one citation to Wikipedia, Wikipedia wouldn’t have anymore  tags. Libraries are critical allies to Wikipedia’s mission: collecting and disseminating the sum of all knowledge. Wikipedia editors have been engaging their local libraries as part of the Wikimedia movement’s GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) outreach strategy and #1Lib1Ref is part of that effort.
Getting involved can be as simple as committing to add a citation to Wikipedia–you can use the Citation Hunt tool to simplify this process–or host a Coffee Hour, edit-a-thon, or other events at your library.
Add the #1Lib1Ref hashtag to your edits, so participation can be tracked. Here is more information about getting started:
- Main Campaign Page: http://1lib1ref.org
- Citation Hunt Tool: https://tools.wmflabs.org/citationhunt/en
- Wikipedia + Libraries Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WikiLibrary/
- 1lib1ref Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1655484241139590/
Got questions or want to get started? Contact:
- For questions about what or how to plan, or materials: Jessamyn West
- For event planning and Wikipedia integration: Alex Stinson email@example.com
- For Wikipedia Library info and help: Jake Orlowitz @wikilibrary on Twitter
*Adapted from an email sent by Jessamyn West