Jump Start incorporates the five Every Child Ready to Read simple practices and encourages parents of children registering for kindergarten to “Get a Jump Start on Reading @ Your Library.”
As part of the program, Idaho public libraries:
- Collaborate with their local school(s) to participate in kindergarten registration.
- Schedule staff to provide reading readiness and early literacy information to parents, and books for the children registering for kindergarten.
- Provide local library and Summer Reading Program information.
- Encourage families to sign up for library cards and visit the library.
(Open – Apply at least 2-3 wks before your event.)
(Please preview the updated evaluation form & complete evaluation after your event concludes.)
Libraries interested in participating can fill out the online registration form. The Idaho Commission for Libraries will provide for each child:
- A copy of the book The Night Before Kindergarten (Bilingual) with the 5 early literacy practices printed on the inside cover of each book (see small images and links to larger images below).
- A daily reminder for parents of the 5 early literacy practices in the form of a magnet picture frame (see small image and link to larger image below).
- ICfL’s early literacy Jumpstart materials from prior programs are now available for your use. Please print off and distribute any of the following materials that ICfL has supplied to Jumpstart participants in the past:
Be sure to point out these handy resources to parents as you distribute them at your event:
The participating library will provide staff to plan, customize, and implement the program locally. Libraries or schools that participate are asked to complete a simple evaluation form and return leftover materials.
A tip sheet on setting up displays can be found here along with news release for libraries to use.