Sharing early literacy practices, such as Every Child Ready to Read’s five early literacy practices (“Sing, Talk, Read, Write, Play”), Jump Start Kindergarten is an outreach activity that connects library staff with parents/caregivers of young children and emphasizes daily activities that will help children learn to read. Primarily designed for public library staff to conduct outreach activities in their local elementary schools during Kindergarten Registration events, this program also helps parents/caregivers understand all the resources public libraries can provide to assist with school readiness and connects them with these resources through library card sign-up/promotion.
The Idaho Commission for Libraries (ICfL) provides materials and resources which help enhance the outreach events and activities conducted by public libraries (and their school library partners) during Kindergarten Registration events across the state.
- What’s the purpose? See Program Objectives
- Who can apply? See Program Eligibility
- How does it work? See Program Details & Requirements and Program Timeline
- What materials are provided? See Program Resources
- What schools are already being served? See weekly upload of Registration List